Skip to content
January 22, 2007 / allyo

Notes from the sick house: pukey toddler edition (in 4 parts)

Part 1 – 8 a.m.

So, things were definitely looking up this weekend, right up until dinner Saturday night when Jamie threw up all over his plate. We had puking into the wee hours, and then yesterday the focus moved to the other end. Ahem.

Things are looking up again this morning and now we’re trying to figure out if he stays home all day or not. His fever is gone and he’s drinking fine but he’s not eating much. If we were still at our old daycare where they’d be able to cuddle with him on the couch all day I’d send him without a second thought. Of course md and I are both really behind at work and I lobbied for the a.m. shift so that I could work late tonight, but now md’s lobbying for a half day at daycare and I’m irritated. I’d like to say it’s only because I’m looking out for Jamie’s best interests (although that’s part of it) but it’s also because I know if I take him to daycare I’m going to be the one picking him up and MD will be working late yet again. I feel crappy about being mad at Md and being jealous that he gets to go to work and Jamie’s getting lost in all of it. I also have to laugh at the craziness of the situation – jealous because my husband GETS to go to work? Geez.

MD might call our old provider, she’s moved and is about 20 minutes away but I wouldn’t mind driving it just one day if that would help everyone have a good day.

This parenting gig definitely gets more complicated as they get older. Oh, and this is our first illness since we weaned. I had to call a friend yesterday to figure out what to do about fluids. There were some tears shed in the wee, pukey hours of the morning yesterday as well, as my first instinct was to call my grandma. Who in better years would have either been awake in the middle of the night or would have roused immediately when the phone rang.

Part 2 – 8:40 a.m.

MD just got off the phone with the doctor’s office and they cleared him for dc. And he’s thrashing around on the couch like he was never sick, so all that angst was for nothin’.

Part 3 – 9 a.m.

Then this happened, and turns out I was right. Damn. I hate it when that happens.

Part 4 – 2:10 p.m.

I’m at work trying to at least begin getting caught up. MD calls – the doctor’s office said to bring him in for an immediate appointment, and they are en route. Jamie just puked up the first food he’s eaten since this morning. My brain is frantically moving back and forth between “poor baby” and “aargh.”

The saga continues…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: