Skip to content
October 18, 2006 / allyo


Everything went well yesterday, surgery was over in about 30 minutes and Jamie was a trooper. We weren’t able to be there when he was put under because his airway was so narrow they didn’t do it in the pre-op room but in the OR. He was having a good time with the anesthesiologist thought and didn’t even notice us walking away. Waking up was another story. They said they’d call us if they needed us, but then sent us straight to the room so I thought maybe it went better than we were expecting. I mean, Jamie doesn’t like being woken up on a good day, let alone in a strange place with strange people and a sore throat. Anyway, we went up to the room and next thing I know I hear screaming coming down the hallway. It was him, pissed more than scared I think, but a little of that too. He only calmed down when I offered to nurse. The rest of the day was what you’d expect. Lots of pain medicine, good moments and bad moments, and by the end of the day we were all pooped and feeling cooped up.

Jamie and I slept on the uncomfortable, narrow couch in the hospital room, but it made the middle of the night check-ins and meds much easier. He actually slept incredibly well, and there was an immediate difference in his breathing, with very little snoring. MD spent the night at home, but got very little sleep because of his leg hurting. Unfortunately, Jamie spiked a fever this morning and we had to stick around until after lunch before they’d release us.

The wing we were on was for post-op patients and gastrointestinal disorders, and in the three rooms to the left of us were babies that appeared to be there longer than a couple of days. The one right next door was a gorgeous little girl and while she got lots of love from the staff, we didn’t see her parents at all. I don’t know if they live farther away or were working or what. We’re really hoping she’s ok. She was so cheerful, it broke my heart.

Anyway, we’re home, and thanks to my friend D had a home-cooked meal at last for dinner, and now Jamie’s downstairs playing a little. The meds are on a 4 hour cycle so he gets a couple of good hours then has a couple of bad ones. Things should be going downhill in about 40 minutes or so. I laid down with him as he was falling asleep for his nap after we got home and his bed, which I’ve been sleeping in the last week or so, never felt so comfortable. We are all thrilled to be home.

Thanks so much for the well wishes. One of the playrooms had a computer with internet acces so I was able to check my email very quickly a couple of times and it was great to read the comments as they came in.



Leave a Comment
  1. Amanda. / Oct 19 2006 8:54 am

    Glad all is well! (((HUGS)))

  2. Moxie / Oct 19 2006 9:24 am

    I hope he sleeps a lot for the next few days and has no complications.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: