Skip to content
September 8, 2006 / allyo

Twelve hours, baby

Jamie’s had an on-again/off-again virus-type thingy for about three weeks now. We’ll have some bad days, then some good, then bad, then just a cold, but since apparently his tonsils are so big they’re almost touching, even a cold means it’s hard for him to breathe, which of course, means it’s hard for him to sleep. So we’re tired. Very, very tired. And apparently, Jamie was just exhausted last night, partially because with the gorgeous weather we had all the kids at daycare were so in to playing outside that none of them napped, but I’m sure part of it was due to the bad sleep we’ve all been getting. Anyway, he was asleep when I got there. This was normal back when he was a baby, but rarely happens these days. When it does he usually wakes up when I put him in his carseat, voices his displeasure for a couple of miles on the ride home, then notices something (Bus! Car! Blue truck!) that snaps him out of it and we go about our evening as usual. Last night he slept through the transfer to the carseat. He woke briefly when we got home and even more briefly allowed me to put him down while I fed the dogs and let them out. Then he whimpered "nur? nur?" in his recently hoarse little voice, so we did. He promptly passed out. So I left him on the couch with the tv on while I threw dinner together, thinking with the noise and the lights he’d wake up and we’d eat. Nuh-uh. He woke for about 5 minutes at 7, so we went upstairs and I barely got his diaper and a pair of pj bottoms on before he passed out again. (He went to bed in the shirt he wore all day. Big whoop, I do it all the time.) By 7:20 he was in bed. He slept ALL night. Woke once before I went to bed, then just as I feared woke at 4 am, but was content to nurse for a few minutes and go back to sleep. As long as I stayed in bed with him. So that’s what I did. All in all, he clocked 12 hours of snooze time last night, a personal best. He’s always been at the lower end of average as far as sleep goes, but apparently he’s like his mama in that he goes until he hits the wall and then passes out at a ridiculously early hour to catch up. (I tried doing that night before last actually. I went to bed at 8:30 but he woke up so many times it was pointless.)

We’re going to the ENT in two weeks to see if his tonsils need to be removed. Gulp.

On a happier note, Jamie helped with dinner last weekend. No, really! Ok, he sprinkled cheese on the quesadillas, but he did so very carefully and neatly. And he now puts away the bad plastic-leaching fake tupperw@re  when we’re emptying the dishwasher. The other morning he carefully put the lids away in the two baskets we keep in the cabinet for just that purpose, then he even more carefullly carried one upstairs. So that he could transport each lid, one at a time, running from the top of the stairs to our bedroom. Where he piled them on the bed at Maggie’s feet. She wasn’t sure what to make of it all, but I’ll bet she was pleased by the attention.



Leave a Comment
  1. Kelly / Sep 8 2006 10:12 pm

    Oh — poory baby. Hope he is on the mend. Cool that you now have a sous chef. 🙂

  2. whylime / Sep 9 2006 10:22 pm

    poor little guy. That sucks. If it’s any comfort, I had my tonsils out and I survived. but I was 17 at the time, so it might be a little different for your boy. And I bet Maggie was thrilled.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: